Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Who do you love unconditionally?

What does being loved unconditionally mean to you?

Have you ever been loved unconditionally? By whom?

Is it possible to be loved unconditionally? Or is it just human nature to put conditions on it? Can you have a family member that does things or acts in ways that you absolutely despise, towards you or someone else, and still love them?

5 comments:

Lasann said...

Hey, good to see you back.

I unconditionally love: my sons, my sisters and brother, my two bestest friends, my foster daughter, my cats. My Dbf - I think I do though we can have some disagreements where I hate/love him.

I think the above love me unconditionally also.

My brother, before he died, did some bad things and I still loved him. There is nothing that the above people could do that would make me not love them. I don't like a lot of what they do, but I don't judge them.

I guess that's the basis for unconditional love - I don't judge them their actions. But then I don't judge people, I don't feel it's my job. There are people that I don't like - but it's a chemistry/attitude thing.

I wonder if you are talking about a specific thing someone has done. In a marriage I can see actions that I wouldn't tolerate - hence my divorce. But I still love him.

Nailbone said...

Nothing specific, really. But my kids are teenagers, and have become rude and snotty and disrespectful. And sometimes I REALLY don't like them, or even to be around them.

But I still love them. I think.

Lasann said...

Aw, that. I despised my son for a year or so. And on and off between 14 and 18. He was sullen, verbally nasty, and caused me all kinds of grief. I worried wondering how I could love a child for 14 years and then suddenly be disgusted just seeing him.

It passed. Hopefully between you and your wife you can keep this to a minimum. This was during my divorce and the ex feed the flames. I think he thought that if the kids didn't like me they'd like him more. That worked for a little while, but in the end they see us more clearly.

The only good thing I can say about that period is I managed to threaten him in the right way and kept him from getting his tongue pierced. I told him that the peditrician and I had discussed it and if necessary we would administer a sleep medication and pull it out while he was unconscious. He's 22 with no tongue piercing! Yay!!!

kevingrout said...

Hey NB,

My DD is entering the terrible two's, which - from what I've read - doesn't even come close to matching puberty and teenager-dom. So take this for what it's worth.

I look at my little girl (even when she's not loving me) as a gift from God. I know that she is, even though it doesn't always feel that way.

When I remind myself that she is my flesh and blood, and a gift that noone else could have given me, I view her in a completely different light.

The next few years should be fun for us. Maybe you can start writing things down, and pass them on to me as you figure it out? :-)

That being said, I don't know if this is a good book or not, but I think you'll be able to relate to the title:

http://tinyurl.com/yj528h

Hang in there bud. And good to see you back.

Geggy said...

I unconditionally love: my gorgeous nieces, my sisters, my friends Paul and Karen. That's it that's all I got. And they love me unconditionally. No doubt about that.

The hard one for me? I still love XDBF unconditionally. Wait. Let me reword that. I used to love him, but I didn't know how. Then I loved him with all kinds of conditions. And then I hated him. And now, after much heartache, therapy, and forgivness, I think I can now say I love him unconditionally. Because I do, still, love him.

Weird, isn't it? I wouldn't take him back. But I love him all the more (in what, I guess, you'd call a platonic way) because I no longer expect anything at all from him.