I had my first guitar lesson last night!! My kids both take lessons, and DS is out of town at Scout camp. We've already paid for this month, and we have to pay even if they miss. So I got a wild hair and asked if I could take his lesson, and the teacher said sure, that lots of families do that. He said that one family had two lesson slots, and all six of them learned to play by rotating lessons amongst them. DS will be gone 3 of the next four weeks, and I get to use all 3 of those lessons.
I learned 4 chords (C, G, D, and D suspended), and he gave me a chord chart, so I can work on learning some others. He also gave me a "guitar solo" exercise so I can learn how to play the individual notes (I think there's a term for that, but I don't know what it is), and the sheet music to learn Sweet Home Alabama, which incorporates both chords and individual notes.
And more than that, I learned how to read guitar music, to understand what all the fingering notations and stuff mean. That way, when I'm not able to "steal" a lesson, I can work on my own. The kids have found and bookmarked some "tab" sites where we can get other songs, too.
The teacher said it helps that I already know how to read music and know the notes and stuff. In fact, he taught me in one lesson what he usually takes two lessons to teach. I feel so "advanced". :)
One thing, though...my right shoulder hurts like CRAZY!! I think it's from holding it in one position for so long. And I don't have callouses built up on my fingers yet, so it feels like the strings are slicing my fingertips off.
6 comments:
Awesome for you! I didn't get a chance to comment on OT before it slid down on the page, so glad it was on here.
I think guitar and drums would be fun to learn. Good that it's something you & DS can learn together.
Percussion is still my first love, but Uncle Ted and SRV are at the top of my favorite music list, and I thought it'd be fun to learn how they make their magic, ya know?
Do your kids have those things that they put on their fingers so the strings don't slice into them? Sort of like thimbles that seamstresses use...
Nope, they don't have those things. Supposed to build up callouses.
How do I put one of those little pictures on my blog/comments?
RE: the pictures on the blogs and comments. Someone gave me instructions and I can't find them now. I've looked everywhere. I think maybe it was Weltek, so try PM'ing her or ask her in her blog. I then sent the instructions to someone, but I don't remember who, maybe I gave them to Weltek?? I think Nutz, Coco, Glow, or Syren would know how to do it. If I find the instructions, I'll let you know. Hope that helps.
It was me you sent it to, Puffy. I also ran across the instructions at blogger when I was having pic posting trouble:
http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=42093&topic=8928
Post a Comment