Since it's Valentine's Day, I guess I'll tell the "How I Met My Wife" story....
We went to high school together, but didn't really know each other that well. I was dating her best friend, but that's about all we had in common. She's a year younger than me, and she was in orchestra, while I was in band.
So anyway, I graduated and went off to school at Texas A&M. I came back for a visit once, and ran into her at the school, but since I was in the Corps of Cadets at A&M, I had a military buzz-cut and she didn't even recognize me.
Flash forward to July 4, 1978. My family had just gotten back into town from vacation, and I called up my best friend to see what was going on. He said "Aerosmith is in town tonight and we're going!!" He had just started dating a girl, and we were gonna meet her and her friend at the concert. So we go to the concert, and find them, and lo and behold, the "friend" was my wife-to-be. We just kinda hung out together that night, and at one point we went up into the bleacher seat to sit and watch the concert for awhile. Dave and I were sitting next to each other and the girls were on the row in front of us, leaning back on our legs. At some point during that, I got brave and leaned down and kissed her on top of the head. Just a little kiss. And then we just watched the rest of the concert. But later that night, I looked her up in the school directory and called her.
We talked until 3 a.m., and we've been together since then.
I did go back to school at A&M for one more year, then transferred to Texas Tech, back here in my hometown. And during that year, we each went out with other people, but we wrote letters to each other almost daily, and she came with my parents to some of the football games. But when I got back to Tech we pretty much dated exclusively. And talked marriage pretty early on in the relationship, although we didn't get married until after we'd graduated.
We did have a "break" from Thanksgiving, 1981 to Valentine's Day, 1982. But once we got back together that day, it's all been good. We married on June 5, 1982, and we're comin' up on 24 years and two kids together.
And it's still all good.
9 comments:
Oh so sweet to do this on Valentine's day! It's so nice that you are still together and going strong after all these years.
Very sweet & simple, boner. *hugs to you & the Mrs.*
Sweet and linked.
That was a nice story. Good to see you posting! Cheek-kiss
Cute story! What a sweetheart of a guy!
Mrs. Bone is very lucky!
Sweet story. Does she have a nice southern drawl? Do you?
Wow. 24 years. That's wonderful.
That's so sweet.
It's nice to know that you never know when or where you will meet that special person...
Oh, there you are. You're a tricksy one, moving the blog to a new place and all.
Post a Comment