1. What are some characteristics you believe God has?
Unconditionally loving, wise, caring, trustworthy
2. What attributes does God have that we can and should imitate?
The unconditional love stuff. None of us are perfect, so we need to follow Jesus's example of not judging others for their sins. It's up to God to do that. We don't have to LIKE what someone says or does, but we are called to love and forgive that person. And remember that forgiving doesn't mean "approval" or "acceptance", more of a "moving on". Forgive, but don't forget.
And PLEASE don't paint all religious folks with a broad brush that includes people like Pat Robertson and that Kansas church. No one speaks FOR God, particularly people like that. Jesus didn't condemn the thieves and the prostitutes and the tax collectors and the lepers, he hung out with them. Likewise, he would not condemn Robertson. He would love him and try to teach him that he's missing the point. And he would not condemn those that Robertson speaks out against, but would love them as well
3. Is God any of the following: omnipresent, omnipotent, omniscient, sovereign, eternal, immutable, infinite?
All of the above. God has always been, always is, and always will be.
4. Does the God you believe exists seem appealling you, i.e. someone you would like to know (better)? Why or why not?
Absolutely. And part of my daily life is trying to know Him better.
5. If you were interested in getting to know God better, what would you say is the best way(s) to come to understand God's true nature?
Through prayer, reading (The Bible and other books), church educationn, and devotionals
6. Do any of the following describe the God you know: holy, wise, good, just, loving?
All of those are limiting human words to describe an unlimited God, and offer opinions about God. Where one might look at a bad situation (Katrina for example) and see an uncaring unjust God, another might see a part of a wise God's overall design of the world.
7. Does your knowledge/understanding of God have any affect on your daily life? Why or why not?
Yep. I pretty much base my life and my decisions on what I believe is God's plan and purpose for me. I'm not perfect, and I don't think I have it right just yet, but I'm working on it.
8. Catch-all. If I've failed to ask about some aspect about God you would like to address, please feel free to contribute however you wish.
Folks have said that they shy away from organized religion for any number of reasons, and I would like to ask them to keep looking, and not give up. God is not "religious" and "religion" is not God. Religion is just a pathway TO God.
9. (optional) What religious description would you give yourself? (baptist, catholic, wiccan, agnostic, etc.)
Christian/Methodist
No comments:
Post a Comment